Wednesday 19 March 2014

Long time, no blog

I've not blogged in a while; I think I might even have forgotten how! Only kidding, I ramble about me and then you all indulge me with knowing nods right?
The reason I've been absent is two fold. I've recently contracted a cold that has left me feeling like a 90year old and sounding like darth vader. I'm not heroic either so my husband has had a very long week and bless him it's only Wednesday! But prior to the defunct nose the institution in which I work had a Mocksted. A mock Ofsted. Now as teachers we are perhaps more vigorously checked than the students we teach and considering they have weekly formative assessments and summative exams that's some going! I love teaching so I kind of accept that things will be so stressy that I won't have a life and it's not constant so that makes it bareable. Which kind of brings me to my next point. Mother's day.
If you only have one mother it is your mother's day - the day belonging to her.
If you're referring to the whole nationwide celebration of mothers (plural) then it's mothers' day.
If you are saying your mum is superior to all mums then she might be the world's best mum but seeing as we only live on one world the apostrophe can't move.
It might just be the teacher in me, but I think wrong use of a simple apostrophe takes away any sentiment attached to the message. When this has then been immortalised on a card or gift - your error is going to last forever!
Let's try our best to get this one nailed to prevent an apostrophe catastrophe.

No comments:

Post a Comment