Tuesday 18 June 2013

It's all in a name

My husband has an unusual name, it's not Bert or Cecil before you start, but it's unusual enough that you can't buy things with his name on. Mine, however, is incredibly traditional and therefore popular. My husband's parents clearly chose his name but it would seem did not realise they would miss out on buying him pens, coasters, pencils, with his name on. After three years of receiving gifts with my name on from them I figured they were getting it out their system and soon would stop. I thought, 'how cute, his mum bought me a third coaster with my name on'. It didn't stop, I now have rulers, chocolate and key rings with my name on along with the pens, pencils and coasters.
I would like to mention I have had my name for 26 years, I know what it is. I do not need reminders. 
Recently in a random conversation it became clear that it was in fact my father in law that suffered with the compulsion to buy random things with my name on not my mother in law that I had once suspected. I quickly apologised to the mother in law and declared war with my father in law. 
Smugly he told me that nothing existed with his name on and therefore his drawers would not be full of 'tat' and reminded me that my name was everywhere. Well, I thought we will see about that!
I've managed to get him a torch, coaster, tax disc holder all adorning 'Ian' somewhere with a small explanation saying this is an easy going chap. It is true though, 'Ian' is in short supply. But I'm not letting that stop me. When all else fails... Craft!
I started with the pink idea, then it would seem I threw up girly all over it. I can't wait to see him wearing it. No sane man would be seen dead in this, of that I am sure, not just because of the pink or frills but the hearts and pin wheels take it to a new level, but this man, this man is not sane. I mean, how many people can't stop themselves from buying rulers, rulers people, how many can you use at any one time? That's right just the one! 
I may have opened a can of worms, and I'm hoping this will be the end to the war but even if not I've certainly got this battle pinned. Pin wheeled in fact!

1 comment:

  1. i love it! and i love that you are now blogging. i look forward to future posts from my favourite crafter!

    ReplyDelete