Sunday 16 February 2014

Round cushion

The last blog I did told the journey of a cushion from dad to daughter via brother and today's blog looks at what happened to the second of the pair. If you want to read it http://thefattycrafter.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/upcycled-cushion.html?m=1 is the link you need for the first cushion.
In short - massive cushion, didn't match, needed upcycling, done using purple, new cushion that matches, everyone is a winner.
So seeing as I used most of the jersey fabric on the first cushion I needed to come up with either more fabric or an alternative design. Now for those of you that know me will know how stingy I am so obviously I went with the later.
Following a pattern from a magazine I sewed blocks of rectangular fabric together. You're supposed to use four blocks of each colour but because I only had three in each I figured it would do. Told you I'm stingy.
I was a bit amazed that something that was rectangular would become a circle, I teach English not geometry afterall. Don't judge me too harshly.
I joined the ends of the large rectangle and then put Grey's on. This cushion is so simple that you can watch tv while putting it together.
I did a running stitch and pulled it tight. Job done for one end. Then I did it again for the other end. This was trickier, not impossible just tricker. Pull in together slightly so that you have a circle only big enough to put your hand in. Then stuff it. I used the stuffing from my other, old cushion but you can buy fresh stuff from almost any haberdashery. Then pull the thread to seal the second end of the cushion.
I used the thread that I still had on my needle to sew through the middle. It just gives the cushion more of a shape - you don't have to do this, if for example the episode of Grey's that you are watching has just reached the shooter episode where Gary Clarke walks into the lift with Christina. Feel free to pay close attention to that instead.
Depending on your preference what you do next will make your cushion all the more unique. I made hearts to cover the hole, I've seen buttons used and other shapes. It's up to you. Let me know how you get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment